Choosing or hiring a contractor might be very difficult for you. However, truly, it is wise to choose a best contractor for your home as it makes a new relationship between you and him. Moreover, if he supplied the best service, definitely you are going to recommend anyone else to hire him. The following tips will help you to choose a better contractor.
1. Where should you look for a qualified building contractor?
Ask this question to your friends’ and family. You should also ask around and see people who have built nice buildings in recent times.
2. Interview at least three building contractors
Conduct a short phone interviews with your chosen builders and ask them the following questions:
- Ask him or her for how many projects he worked on.
- Did he do the similar work or not.
- Whether he can provide you with references from his previous clients.
- Is able to show you some examples of his previous project?
- Ask for a proof of insurance.
If all the answer can satisfy you then you can go with that contractor for your project.
3. Prepare the great bid of package
Your bid package should include the following
- a complete set of plans that including home location, floor plans
- supports and stair layouts and a roof plan
- Schedules should include all of your windows and doors
- Complete the interior finish schedule (i.e. kitchen cabinets and vanities, plumbing and electrical finishes and flooring)
4. Know where the money is going
You will always ask the Building Contractor to provide you with a cost estimate. Ask him or her to provide you with a cost estimate for each line item (i.e. framing, roofing, siding, plumbing, and electrical, foundation etc).
5. Prepare a payment schedule
Always remember one thing, that payment schedules need to be fair for both parties involved. Make sure you do not give a builder too much up front.